Creative, hardworking, and diligent, Richelle Kalnit has combined more than a decade of experience as a restructuring attorney with expertise in managing sale processes involving intangible assets, often utilizing creative auction structures, to become a thought leader in the asset-based lending industry for Hilco Streambank.
On the sell side, Richelle assists clients in developing a marketing plan for their brand and other intellectual property assets and implementing that plan by thoroughly canvassing the marketplace. Her ultimate focus is bringing processes to a value maximizing conclusion, whether through tailored auction techniques or private sales. She also assists clients who are looking to purchase intellectual property assets, as well as lenders who count intellectual property as their collateral. Richelle has experience in the sale of intellectual property assets in bankruptcy, Article 9 foreclosure transactions, out-of-court sale processes, receiverships, and assignments for the benefit of creditors. She also works closely with consumer privacy ombudsmen when they are appointed in connection with the sale of personally identifiable information in bankruptcy.
Richelle is a founding member and co-chair of the Hilco Global Women’s Business Resource Group.
Prior to joining Hilco Streambank, Richelle was a member of the bankruptcy and restructuring group of Cooley LLP. During her tenure at the firm, she managed the sale, reorganization and/or liquidation of several of the nation’s most prominent retailers, consumer product companies, hotels and restaurants. She began her career at the law firm King & Spalding LLP.
Richelle graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, cum laude, and received her law degree from the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law at Yeshiva University, where she graduated cum laude and was in the top 10% of her class. She is a member of the University of Pennsylvania Professional Women’s Alliance, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Turnaround Management Association, the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation and the National Association of Bankruptcy Trustees.
- Tips to Piece Together Intangible Assets & Maximize Value in a Sale, Journal of Corporate Renewal, December 2023
- Maximizing the Value of a Company’s Intangible Assets, Financial Poise, February 2023
- How Sellers of Intangible Assets Can Benefit from Bespoke Auction Design, ABI Journal, November 2022
- Article 9 Sale Process for Intangible Assets: A Cost-Effective, Efficient Option for Disposition of Collateral, The Secured Lender, January/February 2022
- Turning Intangible Assets into Tangible Value in Bankruptcy Sales, Journal of Corporate Renewal, October 2018
- Early Action is Crucial to Maximizing Retail Brand Value in Bankruptcy, Journal of Corporate Renewal, June 2018
Speaking Engagements and Recognitions:
- VALCON 2024 Advisory Board Member
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Winter Leadership Conference, 2023. Panelist, The Brave New World of Asset Sales and the Increased Role of Unsecured Creditors
- Ropes & Gray Consumer Brands Summit, 2023. Panelist, Trends in M&A
- Turnaround Management Association, 2023. Panelist, Non-Bankruptcy Alternatives as Distressed Investing Vehicles
- Featured Top Women in ABL, ABF Journal 2023
- Podcast, 2022. Panelist, Exploring the Many Nuances of the Article 9 Sale Process
- IWIRC, 2022. Panelist, Getting Up Close and Personal: What You Need to Know About Acquiring Personally Identifiable Information In & Out of Bankruptcy
- Strafford, 2022. Panelist, Bankruptcy Going-Out-of-Business Sales: Liquidation Agreements, Creditor Protections, Avoiding Pitfalls
- SFNet, Annual Convention, 2021. Panelist, DIP Lending Opportunities and Article 9 Transactions
- Turnaround Management Association, Town Hall, 2021. Panelist, Hidden Assets in Bankruptcy and Corporate Winddowns; How to Identify, Preserve, and Monetize Them
- Featured Woman in Secured Finance, SFNet, 2019
- Turnaround Management Association, New York – Upstate Chapter Event, 2019. Panelist, Shifting Sands: Lending & Restructuring in the Evolving State of the Retail Industry
BA - Cum LaudeUniversity of Pennsylvania
JD - Cum LaudeBenjamin N. Cardozo School of Law